Cars are not the only vehicles on the roadway. When you drive through New York or anywhere else in the United States, you have to share the road with buses, motorcycles, commercial trucks, and bicycles. Sometimes, pedestrians are also part of this mix. If you are involved in a collision, the type of vehicle involved in your collision will impact the details and process for your injury claim. Collisions with buses and taxis are not the same as car accidents. They are also quite different from each other.

The Filing Process After a Bus or Taxi Collision 

If you are involved in a collision with a bus operated by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), you will have to file your claim with the MTA. If the collision is with a New York City Transportation Authority (NYCTA) bus, you will have to file your claim with the NYCTA. Both of these entities are self-insured. You can file a no-fault claim with either of these entities. To do so, you must file a notice of claim with the appropriate transit authority within 45 days of your accident if you suffered an injury and 30 days of the accident if you suffered a loss of income.

After a collision with a medallion taxi, notify the Taxi & Limousine Commission (TLC). To file an insurance claim with a specific driver’s insurance policy, you will need to obtain that specific driver’s information and provide it to their insurer. Take down the car’s license plate number and any other relevant information, such as the driver’s name, before you leave the scene of your accident.

Taxis, including private taxi companies, carry their own commercial insurance policies. If your damages exceed the serious injury threshold for personal injury protection (PIP) claims in New York, you can seek compensation from the taxi driver’s insurance provider. Similarly, if you have your own automobile insurance with PIP coverage and you are injured in an accident involving a bus as a pedestrian or bus rider, you can seek compensation from your own insurance policy. If you do not have your own automobile insurance, you can seek compensation from the bus’ no-fault coverage. In a PIP or no-fault claim, you do not have to prove that another party was at fault for your accident. The only circumstance under which you do need to show fault is if you file a personal injury claim if your damages exceed the serious injury threshold.

Work with Our Team of Experienced Bronx Auto Accident Lawyers

If you have been injured in a collision with a bus or a taxi, you could be entitled to recover monetary compensation for your damages through a personal injury claim. To learn more about pursuing compensation this way, speak with a member of our team of experienced Bronx auto accident lawyers at Grant & Longworth, Attorneys at Law. Contact our firm today to set up your initial consultation in our office.